Monday, October 13, 2008

TV: "Welcome" to Monday night television

Birds chirp, cows moo, cars honk and girls... well girls gossip. So, what better to talk about than the show of all girl shows, Gossip Girls. I am proud to say that I watched my first episode of the series that actually takes the cell phones out of a girl's hands, ceases the talk about Zac Efron and draws them to a cozy spot - probably in pajamas with a pint of Ben & Jerry's Phish Food or a bowl of movie theatre butter popcorn - on their favorite Monday night couch**


**a location used only on Monday nights, typically with a group of similar-aged friends, coworkers, etc.


So what makes my experience worth writing about? Well, aside my conformity in order to avoid the social stigma of being a 'non-Gossip' watcher, I find myself sitting in a hotel room in Orlando, FL with my two coworkers, whose wide eyes glare at the TV with perky ears, upright posture and melting hearts for the everso dramatic happenings of Joe Humphry, Serena van der Woodsen and Nate Archibold (thank you to Google for the names). Never before have I heard more "o snaps", "OMG", "no she didn't" or "backstabbing wh*re".


I've got to be honest, the thrill that radiates from my fellow Monday night 'watchers' is contagious, possibly infectious, and I have to say it... but I may be... a... Gossip Girl fan (?)


Note: Idea for a new show: Gossip Boy